Dyfi Enduro 2018 Cancelled: Welsh Water Just Too Wet
We’ve just heard that, unfortunately, persistent wet weather and a resulting high water table means that this year’s Dyfi Enduro has had to be cancelled. This is certainly a favourite event of Chipps’ – he keeps taking part even though he claims to have given up racing – and we’ve no doubt he’ll be sad to now find himself with a free weekend. However, it’s surely better to miss a year and still have an event in future than damage the ground and have this be the last year. It’s been held it wet conditions before, but it’s the water that’s already in the ground rather than anything that might be falling from the sky that’s the worry this year. Here’s the full statement from the organisers:
An extremely wet winter has left us in the unfortunate position that the land we use as the home of our event HQ and camping field remaining saturated to the extent that it can not, in it’s current damp condition, satisfactorily sustain the traffic that the event brings without significant damage. Further to this, the damp conditions pose further additional safety risks due to the high probability of vehicles getting stuck on access ways.
The Dyfi Enduro is a large event and finding an alternate location for 1000 riders, their bikes, family, spectators and their associated vehicles would be difficult enough but to find one close enough to our event route that would welcome this number on an already busy Bank Holiday weekend at short notice is a practical and logistical impossibility.
For this reason, in the spirit of long term sustainability, we have taken the difficult decision to cancel the 2018 event. We understand that the cancellation will be disappointing for many people but the event puts its long term sustainability and the reduction of impact at the core of its principles so while we are sad not to be going ahead we feel this is absolutely the right decision for the land and the long term future of the event.
All riders are offered the option to either receive a full refund or to carry their entry over to a guaranteed place in the 2019 event.
For those who would like to obtain a full refund, please send a refund request through the Eventbrite message system by Monday April 23rd at 12 noon.
Entrants to the 2018 Dyfi Enduro have until this time to request a full or partial refund. Refunds will be processed from 23rd April until the following Monday, 30th April. If you have not received your refund during this period then please contact us and we will investigate.
After this time, any remaining entries not refunded will automatically be carried forward to the 2019 event which will take place again on the first bank holiday weekend in May 2019 with the 2019 Dyfi Enduro itself taking place on Sunday 5th May 2019. Both event and camping fees will be carried over and entrants will not be subject to any price increases that may occur for the 2019 event. Our terms and conditions of entry and event waivers that were accepted for the 2018 event will remain in place for the 2019 event.
Once all refund requests have been processed any resulting available entry spaces will go on sale in early January 2019. A exact release date/time will be published closer to the date.
For carry over entries, our existing transfer policy will remain in place. This policy allows any existing entry ticket to be transferred to another rider simply by a change of attendee details in your Eventbrite panel ( Details of our transfer policy and how to transfer can be found here)
We would like to apologise wholeheartedly for any inconvenience the cancellation causes but please understand that the cancellation is due to environmental factors beyond anyone’s control.
Our apologies too to our suppliers, helpers and supporters, many who have already worked hard and given time to the event. We thank you all for your support and understanding of the situation.
We would like to say that we are extremely grateful to all who signed up to ride the 2018 event and are sorry the weather has put a damper on things this year. It seems ironic that after quite a few years of the event seeing damp trails with undeterred riders that it’s actually a damp field that scuppers things, but that’s life. We had a real corker of a route remix ready too, sadly this will have to wait until 2019 to be enjoyed by our riders but we can tell you now, it’s well worth the wait.
If you have any questions regarding the event cancellation then please email [email protected] but please understand that we will be extremely busy and it may take a day or two for a response.
Dyfi Events Team
IF YOU REQUIRE A REFUND PLEASE MAKE YOUR CANCELLATION REQUEST THROUGH EVENTBRITE BY Monday April 23rd at 12 noon . REFUNDS WILL BE PROCESSED BY Monday 30th April 12 noon.
ENTRIES THAT ARE NOT REFUNDED WILL AUTOMATICALLY BE CARRIED OVER TO THE 2019 EVENT (THIS INCLUDES ANY CAMPING AND CAMPSITE VEHICLE PARKING)